8 Necessary Image Optimization Tips for Websites
17 Jan, 2013 | By: admin
News, Tips and Tricks
Is it the case? It may be said that many people often ignore the importance of image optimization for website. It will damage website worth in search engines, will slow down page speed and consume more bandwidth if not optimized. If your website has lots of images you will really need to work with your designer to make sure that all those images are optimized. Here are few tips to make excellent images that will not hurt website speed.
- First of all select a proper image format to use such as from PNG, GIF, JPG
- Apply Image compression, test which compression setting works well and does not distort the image.
- Use PNGs for high quality photographs and images e.g. artwork, banners etc. The quality of PNG images can be preserved after applying compression.
- Use GIFs and PNGs for icons, images with text, buttons, bullets etc. These image types results in a heavier file size and does not represent all of the colors.
- Save your image for website and not as a regular image if you have this feature in your image editing tool. This will automatically ensure image optimization and will give you indication on how will it look like actually on website.
- Make sure that image file size is not much high, try to produce file size of around 55KB for banners, 10 KB for background images and 120KB for main photos.
- Try not to overwrite the images as it may affect quality
- Quality level should be close to high
These are some of the best tips you should keep in mind before uploading images to your website. This will ensure good site load time.